Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Shame and Sanctification

Wow. The text of Mark 15:6-15 has really impressed me with Jesus Christ, but not in any expected way. I find myself so motivated to walk in holiness because He underwent such shame and degradation - here's my preaching outline:

Mark 15:6-15 contains 6 degrading exchanges that remove all public honor from Jesus of Nazareth and Accomplish The Public Degradation of Jesus Christ

Background: The Crowd of Shame (they want Barabbas – 6-8)

1) His Title was Exchanged for Envy – 9-10
2) His Honor was Exchanged for a Murderer – 11
3) His Shame was Exchanged for Blame – 12-13
4) His Innocence was Exchanged for Guilt – 14
5) His Status was Exchanged for Satisfaction – 15a
6) His Glory was Exchanged for a Cross – 15b

Like Mark 11:27-12:12, the underlying factor here is the honor/shame culture of the Middle East. The textual keys to see this: "The crowd (v.8)," "envy" in v. 10, Pilate talking over the cheif priests and calling on the crowd (9, 12, 14), and Pilate "wishing to satisfy the crowd" (15).

Man of sorrows, what a name
For the son of God Who came;
Ruined sinners to reclaim,
Hallelujah, what a Savior!

Each exchange gets progressively more shameful for Jesus Christ while the others gain honor at His expense. Very sad, Very heavy.

Part 1 was 2-8-09. Part 2 is 2-15-09. Pray for me, that I may accurately and powerfully portray the glory of Christ to all who hear, that they may be greatly influneced to worship and honor Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ted,
    This is my first attempt at a blog so I am unsure of etiquette.
    I heard a sermon on Mark 1:35-40 last Sunday.
    What a story of Jesus freely preaching, touching the leper, and Jesus no longer openly enter a town. 2 Corinthians 5:21.
    I will pray for your message of Christ to go out.
    "For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be glory forever. Amen."
    Erik

    ReplyDelete